Wednesday 15 July 2015

Menorca part 1

Don't worry there might not be a part 2 - or then again there may be a 2, 3 & 4!, all depends on how many photos I want to remember.  Do you print off photos these days?  I can't remember the last time I printed some off.  I use my blog as a place to go back and look at photos these days.

When we fly, we try and stay in an airport hotel.  We didn't used to, but the year we only just made the flight due to a massive accident on the motorway, made us think again.

We tried a new hotel this year.  I am not paying £99 for a room only deal thank you very much.  I do have t'internet and am happy to shop around.  We ended up in the Crowne Plaza and were more than happy with it.  I did make a complete fool of myself in the bar though - I wish we'd have managed a photo.  We had a bottle of Prosecco  (it was our 18th wedding anniversary) and I ended up opening it - NEVER AGAIN.  It only exploded as I opened it and went everywhere, whilst I stood there like a fool.  Thankfully the lovely barman replaced (& opened) another bottle and cleaned up the mess I'd made.

This was the first time we had asked for an accessible room.  Can you imagine how big the bathroom was - can you???????



 The one above was from the doorway.


The only downside was the toilet was so high I couldn't touch the floor!!!  Am I meant to carry a brick round to balance on????? (no I didn't take a photo of me trying to touch the floor).

When you book a holiday through a tour company you can request a accessible room but you can't guarantee one.  To do so you have to contact the hotel directly and book it with them.  I think this is one of the stupidist things I have ever heard of.  If there is a room free, why can't the tour company book it on our behalf?????  Anyway, I'll get off of my soapbox now.

So we booked a normal room.  I think this is something we will have to reconsider in future but I don't want to have to beg for an accessible room............  The transfer in a minibus for the 4 of us was fabulous.  I shall never want to share a coach every again :-)

Our room was as far from the reception as possible!! but luckily the receptionist told us that there was a lift near our room which would take us to the pool and the restaurant so for the most it was perfectly placed.  Just a long walk to leave the hotel.  The views from the huge balcony are below.  Look at the blue in that sky.



 The photo below is to show the size of the wine glasses in the restaurant.  I don't think the photo captures the size but it really was the size of his head!



We had a storm on our first afternoon, but I was so tired I managed to sleep through most of it.  It did create a moody sky though.




It soon cleared up so we could have drinks on the balcony.


We stayed in Cala n Bosch on Menorca and whilst I wouldn't rush back it was nice.  There were a lot of families visiting and it wasn't very Spanish which I found disappointing, I like to know which country I am visiting.

Who needs a selfie stick?????


Erm, well..........

 Looking out to sea.

Back to the harbour.

 I have NO idea what H was upto on this one.


 H and I never did make it to the lighthouse.  We tried one night but were eaten alive by Mozzies so decided a drink would be more fun!








That's our hotel below, the orange one.



 Day 2 also saw rain.  It was so funny, everyone was huddled under an awning waiting.  We all thought oh it'd blow over.  It rained for ages, so I gave up and went swimming and had lots of people looking at me as though I was odd.  I did regret it though as I had a sore throat and chesty cough for the rest of the holiday......



My favourite thing about the hotel was the pool area.   I love swimming on holiday, it's just so much nicer in the sunshine.












Ok, I'll admit there will be at least more post!!!









6 comments:

  1. Rain or no rain, it looks fabulous. We went to Menorca in 2000, I remember it well because Eleanor was only just 2 and she got chicken pox while we were there. Daniel was 5 and his spots came out the day after we got home, which we considered lucky because they wouldn't have allowed us to fly home if they'd come out a day earlier. I can just imagine you opening that prosecco, things like that usually happen to me. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, glad you got another bottle to celebrate with, and as for the wine glass, the bigger the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was lucky, hope Eleanor wasn't too ill to have a good time? We did want to try and "borrow" the glasses to bring home, but it wasn't that kind of place!!!

      Delete
  2. Good start to the holiday!
    One of the best holiday memories I had was swimming in the rain in Germany. We were happy when it was just raining.... but got out when the thunder storm started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was listening out for thunder. I was not going to swim if I heard thunder.

      Delete
  3. It looks as though you had a really great time! That bathroom is huge isn't it, but looks very well equipped. Looking forward to part two! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I really struggled with part 1 for some reason. Part 2 will be on it's way shortly.

      Delete