Thursday 21 November 2013

Do you use snail mail or email?

I love getting mail.  The real stuff, through the letter box.  Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy emails but nothing beats the joy from a real letter on the doormat.   (I think it helps that I LOVE stationary.) Kettle on Diet Coke opened, comfy sofa, opening a letter full of news.  HAPPY.

Now I used to write a lot of letters and I stopped.  Not sure why, I think life got in the way.  I now only write to 2 people and for the last couple of years I've struggled to do that.  Not because I didn't want to, and not because I don't love getting their letters, as they make me so happy but I think when you are not feeling 100% happy with life and are a little stressed you let the things that make you happy, pass you by whilst you focus on managing the other things in life.  I've been guilty of that - a lot.

Family illnesses, hubby's MS, miserable job.  All got on top of me.  Last Christmas was the worst of my life and one I never want to go through again.  The person I am today can look back and think "P'ah, it weren't too bad.  Others have it much worse."  But last Christmas was not good.

Anyway, I digress.  Post.  Love it - want to send me some???? (Not bills please).

I have just been to the PO to send some mail.  It cost me over £15 to send:
1) A small card to cheer someone up who is feeling unwell (USA)
2) A handmade bunting and a bar of chocolate to cheer up someone going through a hard time (USA)
3) 4 chocolate bars (Greece) to pay off a debt
4) A bar of chocolate and some small (light) packets (Greece)

Now, I could have bought a lot of chocolate for £15 and almost bought a seat on a cheap airline and delivered the chuffin stuff by myself (to Greece, not USA).  The PO complain that they are losing money and are in financial trouble and they wonder why.

So should I not be myself and when I see someone in need think "N'ah can't be bothered, too dear to post"?  I won't as I am fairly happy with myself (we all have bits we'd change), and I am happy knowing that maybe, just maybe that little parcel that arrives as a surprise might help make someone's day better and that's enough for me.

Now I've written this, I am wondering whether to post as I know some of the people who read this and I don't usually reveal myself quite so much but I'm going to click that publish button and the heck with it.  I am in a good place now and it's only going to get better. x

No comments:

Post a Comment